Hey there, planning a trip to Alcatraz Island? You’re in for an epic experience, trust me! Whether you’re a history buff, a movie enthusiast, or just someone who appreciates a breathtaking view, Alcatraz has something for everyone. Let’s dive into my top 17 tips for making your visit unforgettable. 🛥️
1. Choose Your Alcatraz Tour Wisely
Alcatraz Cruises offers four main types of tours:
- Day Tour of Alcatraz: Great for first-timers!
- Alcatraz Night Tour: See the island in a whole new light.
- Behind the Scenes Tour: For the uber-curious.
- Alcatraz and Angel Island Tour: Two-for-one special!
To Buy Tickets:
- Online: Alcatraz City Cruises Website
- Phone: 415-981-7625
- In-Person: Ticket booth at Pier 33, 9 am to 6:30 pm.
Insider Tip: Beware of resale companies that hike up prices or charge you a ‘Booking Fee.” There is only one legit Alcatraz ferry operator that is permitted by the National Park Service.
2. Book Well in Advance
Tickets sell out fast, especially in summer. Book at least 90 days in advance. Check the Alcatraz Cruises website regularly for cancellations if your dates are sold out.
3. Time It Right
Day Tours start at 8:40 AM and run every half-hour. Night Tours and Behind the Scenes Tours have specific times, so check when booking. Remember, the trip to and from the island takes 12-15 minutes each way.
4. What’s in the Ticket?
Your ticket includes a ferry ride to and from the island and an audio tour of the prison. Pay attention to your ticket’s departure time and be at Pier 33 early.
5. Take Public Transit
Parking at Pier 33 is a no-go. Use public transit or take an Uber. Nearby parking is at Pier 27 and Pier 23, but they can get expensive and fill up quickly.
6. Dress in Layers
You’re gonna experience all four seasons in a day. It’s windy, rainy, and sunny all at once. Dress in layers and wear comfy shoes.
7. Got Your ID?
You’ll need a valid ID to board. No exceptions.
8. No Food Allowed
Food and beverage service isn’t available on Alcatraz Island or the ferries, so eat up before you go.
9. Know the Restroom Situation
Restrooms are limited to the dock and the top of the island. Plan accordingly.
10. Grab the Early Bird Ticket
Taking the first ferry of the day gives you time to explore the island before it gets crowded. Trust me, it’s worth the early wake-up!
11. The Self-Guided Tour Rocks
Grab a headset and go at your own pace. Feel free to explore everything, from the cell house to the seabird colonies.
12. Listen Up
The audio tour is available in multiple languages and offers stories from former prisoners and guards. Don’t miss it!
13. Chat with Park Rangers
Got questions? Ask a Park Ranger. They’re your walking, talking guidebooks and are super friendly.
14. Wander Beyond the Cellhouse
Don’t just stick to the prison; check out the exhibits like The Big Lockup or stroll through the Alcatraz Gardens.
15. Birdwatching for the Win
Summer is bird nesting season. Pack binoculars and enjoy the spectacle but please don’t feed or disturb the birds.
16. Become a Junior Ranger
If you’ve got kids, or you’re a kid at heart, grab a Junior Ranger Book. It’s a fun way to learn more about Alcatraz.
17. Keep an Eye on the Clock
Don’t miss the last ferry back! Be aware of the departure times, which are posted at Pier 33 and the dock on Alcatraz.
3 Fun Facts 🤓
- Alcatraz was not just a prison! Before its days as a federal prison, it was a military fort and later a military prison.
- Escape Attempts: There were 14 known attempts to escape Alcatraz, but it’s believed that no one ever survived.
- Bird Paradise: Alcatraz is home to colonies of nesting seabirds. It’s an unexpected haven for birdwatchers!
3 Insider Tips
- Book the Night Tour for a Unique Experience: The island feels entirely different at night—more eerie, more historical, just more of everything!
- Check for Special Events: Occasionally, Alcatraz hosts special exhibits and events. Make sure to check the calendar.
- Don’t Skip the Freebies and Short Films
- Why it’s Important: Many people bolt straight to the cellblocks or other famous spots, but there’s more to see!
- What to Do: At the island’s visitor center, they usually have short films and free exhibits. Spend some time there to get a fuller understanding of Alcatraz’s layered history.
- Bonus: It’s not just about famous inmates; you’ll learn about the island’s military history, its role in Native American activism, and more.
There you have it 17 tips to enjoy Alcatraz like a Pro! Go forth and explore, you intrepid traveler, you! 🌉✨
Learn More and Plan a Trip to Alcatraz Island
Want to explore San Francisco on a private small group tour?
San Francisco Jeep Tours is the ideal tour activity in San Francisco onboard their private tours. The customized city tour routes and entertaining tour guides cover lots of information on the “not to miss” attractions including Alcatraz.
Book a San Francisco Jeep City Tour, Sunset and City Lights San Francisco Jeep Tours, or the Full Day Combo City and Muir Woods tour to travel to many of the bucket list and off-the-beaten-track locations in and around San Francisco.
Check out the San Francisco Jeep Tours website for more information on exploring the city by the bay.